News

Dramatic moment cops storm barricaded home and rescue boy, 8, after five-day siege

The boy and his 41-year-old dad, who is believed to have been armed, have been holed up in the property since Sunday after emergency crews were called to conduct a welfare check

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Coventry: Police barge into barricaded home and rescue child

Dramatic footage shows the moment police stormed a home and rescued an eight-year-old boy who was barricaded inside with his dad for five days.

Explosions were heard as armed officers smashed their way into the address in Coventry on Thursday evening.

The video clip shows the heavily-kitted officers breaking through the front window of the property to get in just after 8.30pm.

The cops mount a small step ladder one after the other to enter the home and end the siege involving the 41-year-old dad.

The clip, which appears to have been taken by a neighbour, shows the SWAT team leaving the house moments later with the youngster in their arms.






Police stormed the house on Thursday night





The boy is rescued and carried to safety

He is quickly moved from the scene and taken to safety.

Shouts can be heard coming from inside the house as more police stream out but there is no sign of the dad leaving with them.

He was taken into custody after the siege ended, West Midlands Police said.

Last night a spokesman for the force said: “The siege in Coventry has been brought to a safe end this evening after officers forced their way into a property where a father had been barricaded in with his young son since Sunday.







The stand-off lasted for five days
(

Image:

PA)

“Specialist firearms officers moved in just after 8.30pm.

“A 41-year-old man is now being taken into custody where he will be assessed by mental health professionals.

“His son, who is believed to have been physically unharmed, is with other family and will receive any necessary professional support for any emotional and medical requirements.”

Supt Ronan Tyrer, of Coventry Police, said: “This has been an incredibly sensitive and challenging siege, which had a boy aged eight, at its heart.







The siege began on Sunday
(

Image:

PA)

“His safety was our main concern throughout this and so I’m sure everyone in Coventry shares in our relief that we have been able to get him safely out of the house.

“The situation became untenable and it was decided to bring the siege to an end.

“At all times, we had to balance the risk to the boy being kept in the house, with the risk that he could be harmed if we did enter the house.

“Thankfully, he appears to be physically unharmed at this stage – but he is being properly cared for now to ensure he gets all the emotional and other support he needs.”







The street was cordoned off
(

Image:

Leicester Mercury / Chris Gordon)

Describing the siege as “drawn-out, tough and frustrating”, he added: “We are incredibly thankful for the way that the community in Earlsdon have supported us.”

The dad had previously posted photos on Facebook of the armed police surrounding his home as he remained holed up with his son.

Attempts to negotiate with him were stepped up to try and diffuse the situation.

A primary school nearby remained closed today for pupils’ safety, while nearby roads were also shut as the 120 hour tense stand-off continued.

Residents trapped in the cordoned-off area during that time had to be escorted in and out of their homes by officers.




Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.